At Weyerhaeuser, our most valued resources aren’t just the trees and timberlands we oversee. Our employees are the real reason we’ve been in business for over 100 years. Their skill and ingenuity have made Weyerhaeuser one of the largest manufacturers and distributors of wood products in the world. Discover your career path at Weyerhaeuser! Weyerhaeuser is an Equal Opportunity Employer building a capable, committed, diverse workforce.
Weyerhaeuser Kenora’s Timberlands has a 12-month term opening for a Full Time (Temporary) Operations Forester. Subject to the incumbent meeting the qualification and performance criteria throughout the term, there is an opportunity for this term to be extended for an additional 12 months on the same terms and conditions as well as to transition into a regular full-time harvest operations role.
This is an excellent opportunity to join our dynamic team as an Operations Forester in Weyerhaeuser’s Kenora Ontario Timberlands. The Kenora Timberlands Team is responsible for all aspects of wood supply including Planning, In-block Road Construction, Harvesting and Fiber Purchasing, and Sales activities in support of a modern Engineered Lumber facility.
Kenora is situated on beautiful Lake of the Woods in the heart of some of the most scenic wilderness in Ontario. With a population of 16,500 the city offers excellent recreational opportunities at your doorstep. Kenora is North America’s premier boating destination. We are the connection to Lake of the Woods and its 14,522 islands. Through our many events and amenities, we celebrate our history and together we build our future. We are stewards of the Lake, nurture its pristine environment and live the lake life! For more information and 30 great reasons to call Kenora home, please visit www.kenora.ca
Expected role responsibilities include:
Reporting to the Operations Manager and working in conjunction with the Ontario Timberlands Team the primary objectives of this role are:
- Monitoring, auditing and re-enforcement of Weyerhaeuser’s safety standards for contract road building, harvesting, and hauling operations for contractors supplying wood to the Kenora Laminated Strand Lumber Mill
- Ensuring effective implementation of the Integrated Fibre Supply Plan and develop actions to address any gaps to meet the weekly and monthly cost and inventory targets for the Kenora Laminated Strand Lumber Mill and other external mill customers
- Negotiate and secure private purchase wood
- Re-enforcement of Weyerhaeuser’s Forest Stewardship standards and product quality standards for all road construction, harvesting and hauling operations
- Lead monthly one-on-one reviews with suppliers regarding performance in the areas of safety, delivery, forest stewardship and product quality
- 5 years operational forestry experience
- Strong beliefs and behaviors in safety and environmental values
- Operational forestry skills are desirable
- A team player with a focus on results
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Forestry degree or suitable combination of education and experience.
- Eligible to apply for Ontario RPF status is considered an asset
- Communication and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with a diverse group of suppliers
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference.
We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. Inclusion is one of our five core values and we strive to maintain a culture where all our people feel a sense of belonging, opportunity and shared purpose. We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and supporting an equitable and inclusive environment that inspires people of all backgrounds to join, stay and thrive with our team.