Log Yard Supervisor
Position Purpose: The Log Yard Supervisor is responsible for overseeing day to day operations of the Log Yard and Mechanics Shop. Working under the direction of the Timber Manager, this position supervises, coordinates and accomplishes assigned tasks to safely and effectively supervise efficient log deck operations.
Sets and communicates direction, engage and support team members to achieve excellence in all areas
· Leads safety performance – sustain a rigorous safety culture through personal example, operate to highest standards and comply with all regulations and policies
· Responsible for maintaining quality of log inventory, log rotation, log sorting and managing the efficient flow of logs necessary to meet sawmill flow demands
· Responsible for the operation, maintenance and service of all log yard equipment, rolling stock, and log yard facility
· Communicate with the mill operations, Log procurement, and the mill quality team to ensure correct product mix is being achieved to maximize efficiency
· Ensure all log yard personnel and contractors (haulers) follow all safety rules and procedures at all times including safe and efficient operation of equipment
· Work with supervisors and management team to improve processes, reduce cost, etc.
· Optimize overall log yard layout to achieve maximum utilization and volume efficiency to minimize log yard costs
· Communicate with Scalers and perform daily log quality inspections on incoming loads to identify log quality, manufacturing and sorting issues. Document and provide timely feedback so issues can be addressed quickly
· Manage inventory of byproducts and coordinate contract trucks as needed
· Coordinate daily with the Weighmaster regarding log flow, decking and truck dispatching
· Perform Weighmaster duties as needed to cover before or after weighmaster shift, vacation and sick relief
· Fill in as needed on front end loader, shovel, or water truck to provide vacation and sick relief.
· Occasional travel to our Willits log yard
· Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills Required:
• Strong commitment to safety with a desire for constant improvement
• Strong organizational and leadership skills
• Ability to manage challenging personalities and situations
• Strong computer skills utilizing Windows based programs and Microsoft Office
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
Additional Knowledge and Skills Desired:
• Education and/or experience in Forestry and Natural Resources
• Five years of experience in a log yard setting or logging operations.
• Heavy equipment operating experience
We offer competitive wages along with medical benefits, 401k and profit sharing
We are committed to making employment decisions that are fair and do not discriminate
on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status,
sexual orientation, genetics, gender identity or expression or any other characteristics
protected under law.