Supervises the planning, budgeting, and implementation of annual operational plans for the Korbel nursery to ensure production of superior conifer seedlings. Works on specific projects, develops and manages budgets, prepares reports, directs data collection and summary work. This position provides direct supervision to a small team of professionals and hourly personnel including farm labor contractors.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (other duties may be assigned)
- Provides coordination of production processes and business activities of the forest seedling nursery to assure production targets for container and/or bare root conifer seedlings are met.
- Supervises the Korbel Nursery with frequent intra and inter-departmental communications with coordinators/technicians, and delegation of responsibility to these employees for specified goals.
- Assists in directing nursery operations to include cultural treatment, achievement of production targets, maintaining inventory records, budget planning for management approval, records on outside sales, administers contracts and coordinates other maintenance and housekeeping duties necessary to operate.
- Exercises administrative controls to influence operational goals of achieving high quality seedling crops.
- Observes and diagnoses, early and accurately, the causal agents that reduce crop vigor and quality, such as diseases and insect pests, then prescribes and administers remedial treatments.
- Integrates the genetic improvements provided by the Tree Improvement Program into seedling production operations.
- Oversees the Korbel Nursery and assures the optimum seedling specifications for each crop.
- Assists in coordinating the research and production activities between Tree Improvement activities, Tissue Culture Lab and Nursery.
- Coordinates the activities of tree improvement and greenhouse space for redwood plantlet production through the harvesting season.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- B.S. degree in Horticulture, Plant/Crop Sciences, Forestry or related field.
- Certified pesticide applicators license or qualifications and willingness to pursue PCA
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Three years supervisory and nursery management in reforestation (woody) seedlings.
- Must be proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of applications, or equivalent software.
- Ability to be highly motivated and self-directed.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to maintain composure during periods of high production.
- Exhibits strong leadership skills. Works with integrity, trust and commitment, setting an example for others.
- Effective and professional relationships with co-workers within immediate work group, outside the immediate department, and with key contacts outside the company.
- Effective and productive communications skills; speaks well and communicates ideas clearly. Writes well, clearly and concisely. Is approachable and open to discussion.
About Green Diamond Resource Company
Green Diamond Resource Company is a fifth-generation, family-owned forest products company. With our headquarters in Seattle, we own and manage forests in California, Washington and Oregon. We manage our lands in an environmentally responsible manner (FSC and SFI certified), as sustainable and productive working forests. Our subsidiary, Green Diamond Management Company, manages forests in Alabama, Arkansas,Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, and South Carolina. We support our employees in many ways - with safety practices and work environments beyond what the regulations require. We also invest in resources and education that offer our people an opportunity for growth and advancement.