Assists with all core functions of the Intensive Forest Management (IFM) department including reforestation (tree planting), vegetation management, hazard abatement and pre-commercial thinning. Provides assistance with all required data collection efforts to ensure young stands meet stocking requirements and are maintained in a free to grow condition. Monitors the work of contractors performing various reforestation, thinning and biomass harvesting tasks. Assists with tasks related to Green Diamond Resource Company’s hazard abatement (prescribed burning) program such as checking fire lines, maintaining fire equipment, implementation of ignition and suppression of controlled burns and support of biomass harvest operations.
- Must have successfully completed college forestry courses such as dendrology, ecology, silviculture, forest engineering and forest mensuration or two years equivalent forestry experience.
- Generally has a degree or coursework in Forestry or a related field.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to successfully pass a qualifying course in ATV training.
- Excellent observational skills including visual and audio, in order to gather and document accurate resource data.
Ability to negotiate through rough topography, accurately interpret maps and understand how to apply reforestation techniques and silvicultural principles.
- Incumbent must be able to take responsibility for the quality of their work products as well as their own personal safe behaviors.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry or related field.
- Previous reforestation experience.
- Knowledge of tree planting techniques and stock types.
- Knowledge of redwood silviculture.
- Formal training or coursework in GIS with demonstrated ability to use GIS software.
- Knowledge of California Forest Practice Rules and interest in obtaining Registered Professional Forester (RPF) license.
- Qualification and willingness to acquire Qualified Applicators License (QAL) or Pest Control Advisor License (PCA).
- Fluent in Spanish.
About Green Diamond Resource Company
Green Diamond Resource Company is a fifth-generation, family-owned forest products company. With our headquarters in Seattle, we own and manage forests in California, Washington and Oregon. We manage our lands in an environmentally responsible manner (FSC and SFI certified), as sustainable and productive working forests. Our subsidiary, Green Diamond Management Company, manages forests in Alabama, Arkansas,Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, and South Carolina. We support our employees in many ways - with safety practices and work environments beyond what the regulations require. We also invest in resources and education that offer our people an opportunity for growth and advancement.