This is a Forestry Technician (Research) position located with the Forest Service’s Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Research Work Unit with the Rocky Mountain Research Station. Employee serves as a crew member completing forest inventory plots.
For additional information about the duties of this position, please contact, or Maryfaith Snyder at 801-625-5724 or [email protected]
- Prepares for field work by reviewing historical plot data, researching and recording ownership information and contacting landowners and managers.
- Uses aerial photographs and topographic maps to locate study areas and study plots.
- Collects a variety of data including forestry, botanical, and geographic measurements.
- Records measurements utilizing a portable data recorder; completes accurate and concise plot summaries.
- Assists in protocol interpretation when assessing complex or unusual situations. Uses resources such as botanical keys to identify plants and plant association guides to classify site conditions encountered.
- Independently edits and loads plot data on a regular basis.
- Actively participates in the safety program, assisting in identifying hazards and mitigating actions.
75% or less – Extensive overnight travel required–up to 75% of the time.