Our Thunder Bay location in Ontario, Canada is currently seeking talent to fill the position of Forestry Superintendent, Resolute Northwestern Ontario Woodlands Operations. This job is permanent, full-time.
- Competitive salary and annual bonus incentive plan
- At least three weeks of vacation and three floating holidays; depending on your experience
- Full range of group insurance from the first day of work
- Telemedicine services
- Defined-contribution pension plan with generous employer participation from the first day of work
- Employee and family assistance program
- Education assistance program
- Health club reimbursement program
- Work Travel Assistance Program
- Referral bonuses
- Relocation assistance to the community of Thunder Bay.
- A workplace based on respect, diversity, and inclusion
- Ensure that the highest Safety standards are met or exceeded throughout the operation.
- The Forestry Superintendent leads the teams that develops Forest Management Plans, and prepares the Annual Work Schedules and Annual Reports, that are consistent with forest management planning requirements in Ontario.
- The Forestry Superintendent provides forest renewal and maintenance direction, coordination, and support to ensure effective regeneration.
- Overall responsibility to provide forest management planning support to the Wood Products Ontario organization to ensure a sustainable and economical supply of wood fibre to Resolute production facilities.
- Supports the development of Forest Management Plans (FMP), which direct all road construction, harvest, and renewal operations on the SFL area.
- Lead role in indigenous, Public, and Stakeholder consultation associated with each forest management plan, including the dispute resolution process.
- Company liaison with district MNRF staff and MNRF regional planning specialists regarding the development of Forest Management Plans, and associated planning issues.
- Maintain effective working relationships with local citizen committees, tourist outfitters, trappers and other stakeholders to ensure uninterrupted access to fiber supplies.
- Supports Resolute forest management certification initiatives.
- Oversees the preparation of Annual Work Schedules (AWS) that guide road construction, harvest and renewal operations on the SFL on an annual basis. Coordinates annual report submissions to the MNR.
- Ensures all necessary work permits, cut approvals, AWS revisions and FMP amendments to carry out operations on an annual basis are obtained. Liaison and negotiate with Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) on permits, approvals, other concerns on a daily basis.
- Responsible for ensuring that planning information and records are maintained in support of MNR reporting requirements and forestry operations. Works in conjunction with Forest Information and Production staff to ensure that information databases, and Geographic Information System (GIS) spatial coverages (including the Forest Resources Inventory) are complete and accurate.
- Lead and support to R&D programs, to ensure that they promote sustainable forest management program and continual improvement in the forest operations.
- Ensure application of the highest Safety standards to achieve superior health and safety results.
- Advise operational staff on the application of guidelines and prescriptions included in the forest management plan.
- Responsible for the development and management of renewal budgets for program areas such as stock production, tree planting and seeding, site preparation, herbicide application, stand tending, tree improvement, renewal assessments and other related activities.
- Responsible for determining FRTF contribution levels, in cooperation with the Information System Management Superintendent.
- Responsible for ensuring that renewal prescriptions are developed for harvest areas, and that renewal records are appropriately maintained Liaison with Company production staff to ensure that forest renewal activities are carried out in a cost effective manner.
- Responsible for renewal l contracting for the designated Sustainable Forest Licence areas, and the coordination of any regional/provincial renewal contracts, in conjunction with the Manager of Commercial Contracts. Ensures renewal contractor compliance to production, safety, quality, and environmental standards.
- Reporting to the Forestry Manager, you will be part of a results-oriented team whose members are encouraged to exceed expectations.
- Ideal candidate will have 10 years of proven provide forest management planning experience.
- A degree in Forestry; the Forestry Superintendent must be a Registered Professional Forester.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team, to communicate with all levels of the organization, see the big picture and to adapt quickly to change
- Strong attention to details, analytical, organizational and problem solving skills.
- The ideal candidate will possess the drive and passion to continuously improve upon the health and safety, efficiency, production, and planning targets for Ontario Woodlands
- In-depth knowledge of MS Office and solid computer skills
- Fort William Historical Park: This is a recreation of an early 1800s fur trade post
- Sleeping Giant Provincial Park: This park is known for its scenic views and natural wonders
- Mount McKay: You can climb to one of the highest points in the province at this location
- Prince Arthur’s Landing: You can enjoy art galleries, museums, and food at this location
- Terry Fox Memorial: This memorial is dedicated to Terry Fox, a Canadian athlete who ran across Canada to raise money for cancer research
We are a global leader in the forest products industry offering a dynamic and safe work environment with opportunities and challenges that will help develop your skills.
With a diverse range of pulp, paper, tissue and wood products sold in over 70 countries, Resolute owns or operates some 40 facilities, as well as power generation assets, in Canada and the United States.
We are a company writing a new story for itself in a rapidly changing industry. We have made important inroads to ensure long-term profitability and to be an environmental supplier of choice. In order to remain a leader in our field, we are looking for individuals who are driven and eager to learn. Come take part of our history and be part of the change!
How are we building the Resolute of the future?
Join the conversation!