2024 Forestry Summer Student Opportunities – Silviculture
We are currently recruiting summer students for the 2024 season in our forestry operations in Dryden, Ontario and Ear Falls, Ontario. Employment opportunities are generally 4 months in duration for the summer term. A progressive community set between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay, Dryden offers excellent camping, fishing, and outdoor activities.
Silviculture Summer Students support the renewal and tending programs through field surveys, tree planting inspections, and through monitoring of forest regeneration. Candidates should be self-motivated, physically capable, and able to work in inclement weather, as a team and/or independently in remote areas. Your responsibilities will include:
- monitoring silviculture contractors (tree plant/site preparation operations/tending) performance around safety and quality
- conducting site reconnaissance; preparing pre-work for renewal work; verifying contractor payment and compliance
- conducting various regeneration surveys (FTG, exceptions monitoring, and stand tending)
- assisting with the planning of various silviculture projects (i.e. aerial chemical tending or slash pile burn projects)
- collect data using Survey 123 or Avenza Maps
- miscellaneous duties such as road inspections, water crossing monitoring and other forestry related duties.
- Students in all years of BSc. Forestry Program or Technical Diploma will be considered.
- Previous experience in silviculture, field surveying (FTG, regeneration survey, FRI cruising) contractor supervision, surveying, harvesting or road construction experience would be an asset.
- Must be able to work in a forest environment independently or with a team in remote locations.
- Must have a valid G driver’s license and a valid First Aid certificate.
A competitive salary is offered, as well as a limited travel allowance and living allowance if applicable.
Please apply online and attach your cover letter and resume, in confidence, by November 24th, 2023 at 12:00pm CST.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities are available upon request. Building a capable, committed, and diverse workforce.
Job Type: Seasonal
Contract length: 4 months
- Dental care
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-11-24